Better Business Bureau
Research a business or find
local contact information
Do Not Call Registry
Free Annual Credit Report
(Other credit report services may charge a fee.)
Motor Vehicle Title Information
Credit counseling services
Ohio Department of Commerce
Investor Protection Hotline
877-N-VEST 411 (877-683-7841)
Ohio Department of Insurance
Ohio Department of Veterans
Ohio Legal Aid
Legal aid provider
Save the Dream Ohio
Foreclosure prevention help
* Monitor your bank account statements regularly
* Never carry unnecessary personal information in your wallet or purse.
* Shred documents containing personal information
* If a bill fails to arrive, contact the company immediately. Thieves may steal information from mailboxes.
* Never share personal information with anyone contacts you unexpectedly.
* Update your computer software and mobile applications regularly.
* Use internet passwords that are hard to guess, and change them regularly.
* Set passcodes on your smartphone.
* If doing business online, make sure the site is secure, It should start with "hhtps."
* Make copies of your credit cards (front & back) so that you can call and cancel them quickly if the are stole.
IMMEDIATE STEPS FOR VICTIMS OF IDENTITY THEFT
* File a police report
* Place an initial fraud alert on your credit report through the credit reporting agencies listed below
* Order your credit reports and contact your bank or credit provider.
* Contact the Ohio Attorney General's Office.
SIGNS OF IDENTITY THEFT
* You find inaccurate personal information or unfamiliar accounts on your credit report.
* Bill collectors contact you about debts you do not owe.
You no longer receive certain mail or you receive mail related to unfamiliar credit cards.
* You are denied credit for no apparent reason.
Annual Credit Report 877-322-8228
LIST OF AGENCIES TO CALL TO – Be Scam Smart: Avoiding Common Scams
From the Office of US Senator Sherrod Brown
Office of US Senator Sherrod Brown:
Federal Trade Commission:
Department of Justice, Credit Counselor Hotline:
202-514-4100 IRS Identity Protection Specialized Unit:1-800-908-4490 Do Not Call Registry:
Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine: 800-282-0515 Ohio Association of Area Agencies on Aging: 614-481-3511 Ohio Senior Medicare Patrol (Medicare Fraud): 1-800-488-6070 Ohio Consumers’ Counsel (utilities Fraud): 1-877-742-5622
Credit Reporting Companies: